Go to main text of this page
Top of page
Below is the text

Admissions FAQ

1. For Applicants to Undergraduate and Graduate Programs

As for the FAQs regarding undergraduate programs, see here
As for the FAQs regarding graduate programs, see here

Q. Is it possible to enter your university in September?
A. September entry is available only for some undergraduate and graduate courses.
For more details please read the Faculty Guide.
However, if requested by the Japanese government or governmental offices of other countries involved or foundations in Japan and other countries, or by the overseas institutions having academic exchange agreements with Doshisha University, or if the applicant has been granted a scholarship by any of the above organizations, and if deemed necessary by Doshisha University, enrollment other than April may be approved.
Q. What is the difference between “Japan Applicants (applicants residing in Japan)” and “Abroad Applicants (applicants residing abroad)”?
A. Applicants who reside in Japan and can stay in Japan with a valid visa for the entire period between application and enrollment AND therefore do not need to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility can apply as “Japan Applicants (applicants residing in Japan)”. "Short-stay" visa holders cannot apply as “Japan Applicants (applicants residing in Japan)”. They are considered as “Abroad Applicants (applicants residing abroad)”. In addition, even if you hold a valid student visa which will expire before the initial registration procedures (not to be renewed), you cannot apply as an “Japan Applicants (applicants residing in Japan)”
Q. All the documents to be submitted must be written in Japanese?
A. Documents can be written either in Japanese or English. If the original document is provided in a language other than Japanese or English, applicants are required to submit its Japanese or English translation along with the original document. The translation must be notarized by a diplomatic mission in Japan, such as a consulate and embassy, to certify that the translation of the document is faithful to the original. Diplomatic missions of some countries and regions in Japan do not certify any translation of issued documents. In that case, translation must be notarized in home country. If neither a translation issued by a diplomatic mission nor a notarized translation issued in your home country is available, a translation by the applicant’s university or Japanese language school is acceptable; in such a case, the translation must be affixed an official seal (A copied seal is not acceptable) by the applicant's university or Japanese language school. Also, we cannot accept the translation made by a translation company.
Q. Is it ok if my graduation certificate or academic transcript was issued a long time ago?
A. As long as they were issued after your graduation, there is no restriction on the date of issue.
If you are currently still enrolled in your last school, please submit a most updated transcript at the time of application.
Q. Do I have to use the prescribed form for letters of recommendation?
A. Letters of recommendation must be provided on the prescribed form.
Q. May I receive the letter of recommendation from the recommender by e-mail and submit a printed copy?
A. Submission of a printed copy of the letter of recommendation received by e-mail is not accepted. The letter of recommendation must be the original signed and sealed by the recommender him/herself.
If your recommender lives far from you, please request for the letter of recommendation well in advance to allow enough time for mailing.
Q. What do you mean by “the letter of recommendation must be sealed”?
A. “Sealed” here means that the letter is sealed in an envelope so that the content cannot be read from outside, and a school stamp or a signature is affixed over the sealed flap of the envelope.
Q. I have prepared all the application documents other than a certain certificate, which cannot meet the deadline. Could you accept it even after the deadline?
A. All the application documents must be submitted during the application period. The deadline is not extended for any reason.
Q. I will send the application documents on the day before the deadline. Is it possible to meet the deadline?
A. Delivery date varies depending on your living area and other circumstances. Please arrange your application to meet the deadline (Japan time). Otherwise, any application forms submitted or reached after the deadline (Japan time) cannot be accepted.
Q. Are there restrictions on issue date and size for my ID photograph?
A. Please submit a photograph sized 3.0×2.4cm and taken within the last three months.
Q. I would like to know the number of applicants and successful candidates of previous year.
A. Data about the Entrance Examination for International Students can be found here.
Q. Can I obtain the past examination questions?
A. It depends on the faculties / graduate schools. As for the past examination questions, please contact the Office of International Students or office of the relevant faculty or graduate school.

2. For Applicants to Undergraduate Programs

Q. I hold a foreign nationality, enrolling in a high school in Japan, and will be graduated from the school. Can I apply for the Entrance Examination for International Students?
A. To apply for the Entrance Examination for International Undergraduate Students, you must meet the following requirement: those who have completed 12-years of regular education outside Japan or expect to complete such education before you enroll at Doshisha. Therefore, if you only graduate from a high school of Japan (including international school in Japan, an overseas educational institution accredited by the MEXT), you cannot apply for the Entrance Examination for International Students.
Q.Are there any passing scores of EJU, TOEFL iBT® TEST, TOEIC® LISTENING AND READING TEST, IELTS for the Entrance Examination for International Students?
A. Screening is conducted based on comprehensive consideration including independent exams and all the documents to be submitted. Therefore, there are no minimum standardized test scores. For more details, please refer to the Admission Guide for International Students.
Q. Can I apply for two or more faculties/departments at the same time?
A. For faculties and departments that hold their own entrance examination (学部独自試験), you can apply for one of them only. However, you can apply for multiple faculties/departments that only screen application documents (書類選考). If you apply for two or more faculties/departments, prepare a complete set of application documents for each faculty/department you apply and pay the application fee for each of them. For faculties/departments that only screen application documents (書類選考), it is also possible to apply for multiple departments of the same faculty at the same time.
Q. I am applying for two or more faculties/departments at the same time. How should I submit the application documents?
A. Please submit them all together in one envelope. If you are sending the application by mail, please do so as instructed below.

①Prepare a complete set of application documents for each department you apply.
②Organize the application documents by department, using paper clips or document folders.
③Put all your application documents together in one large envelope when sending out.
Q. I am applying for two or more faculties/departments at the same time, but I can only obtain one original for some of the required documents. What should I do?
A. We accept submission of just one original for multiple faculties/departments if only one original of the said document can be issued. In that case, enclose the original in the set of application documents for one of the departments you apply, and attach a note saying “I have enclosed the original of ** in my application for the Department of **, Faculty of **” to the application documents for the other department(s) you apply.
Please note that you must prepare all other required documents for each of the departments you apply.

Once submitted, application documents kept by Doshisha University cannot be used again for another entrance examination in the future. If you wish the original(s) to be returned, please fill in required information in a “request for returning original document (返却依頼書)” and submit it together with your application.

3. For Applicants to Graduate Programs

Q. Am I required to have taken examinations such as Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or TOEFL?
A. You may be required to submit a certificate(s) of those examinations depending on the program you apply to. Please refer to Admission Guide for International Students for details.
Q. Could you explain "Student Status" for graduate students?
A. International Students at Doshisha University are divided into two categories, Regular Students and Special Students. Please refer to Admission Guide for International Students for details.
Q. Do I need to contact the faculty member whom I wish to become my research advisor prior to application?
A. Whether or not you should contact your preferred research advisor beforehand depends on the graduate school. Please refer to Admission Guide for International Students for details.
Q. I have completed 15 years of education in a country other than Japan. Am I eligible to apply for a Master’s or Professional Degree program?
A. The graduate school you apply for will judge whether or not you are eligible. Please submit the required documents to the office of the graduate school you apply for by the deadline set by the graduate school to be screened for eligibility. Please refer to Admission Guide for International Students for details.
Q. Do I need to write the complete address in the “Location” column in the Educational Background, Experience of leaning Japanese and Experience of learning Foreign Language sections?
A. Please write the names of country, state/province/county/prefecture and city/town/ward/village